Sunday, April 5, 2009

Quote & Poem

In Germany, the Nazis came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist. Then the came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak for me.
Martin Niemoeller


ALONE

I stand waiting, hating myself
for those mistakes I made
I realize no one is coming
no one to save
Me from death and tradgedy
that must await me
i gather the strength
and hope no one will see
the state that I'm in
standing here heaving been
left alone.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this poem represented the quote well, and vividly expressed the pain, confusion, and frustration that would accompany the experience.

    ReplyDelete